Are you worried about the moles on your skin? Did you know that we can perform skin checks here at Azure Medical? A regular mole and skin check every 1 to 2 years is a great idea. After all, skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in Australia, and usually easily dealt with if caught early.
Do I need to get my moles checked?
Most people have moles. The good news is that almost all moles are harmless. The important thing is to recognise and track the changes in your moles. Certain characteristics can help determine if a mole is developing into melanoma, a dangerous form of skin cancer.
What are concerning features of moles?
- Significant growth in size, e.g. doubling over 3 or 6 months
- Colour variations within the mole
- An irregular outline – “moth eaten” appearance
- Pattern of the mole – if you divided it into quarters, would each quarter look radically different?
- Smaller moles or areas of pigment appearing around the edge – “satellite lesions”
How to recognise a normal mole.
Normal moles are usually an evenly coloured brown or black spot on your skin. They can be flat or raised, round or oval. Once a mole has developed, it will usually stay the same size, shape, and colour for many years. New moles that appear later in life should be checked by a doctor.
If we are worried about a mole, we have relatively painless processes to take biopsies or cut the mole out under local anaesthetic. Or, if necessary we can of course arrange a timely specialist opinion.
What does skin cancer look like?
Melanoma is just one type of skin cancer, and is actually one of the most uncommon. Other skin cancers that we see much more frequently include Basal Cell Carcinomas (BCC’s) and Squamous Cell Carcinomas (SCC’s). The warning signs you need to look out for non-melanoma skin cancers include:
- A sore that doesn’t heal
- An ulcerated-looking lesion
- A nodular lesion that may grow quite quickly
- Red, inflamed areas – especially around the scalp, ears, lips and hands (sun-exposed areas)
Skin Cancer Checks.
Even though we don’t call ourselves a “mole clinic” at Azure Health, be reassured that we can help you with reliable skin cancer checks and treatments.. Most of our doctors have undergone further advanced training in skin cancer detection and management.
Give yourself peace of mind – click ‘Book An Appointment’ in the top-right side of the window, to book online for your skin check.